Tuesday 12 May 2009

Knitting for Neuropathy

Neuropathy in your hands makes working difficult. I am lucky that I work with computers, so can mostly keep going, but found that my hands were getting worse and worse. It became a choice between my hands or my job. In desperation I thought about something light that would move my hands in the opposite way to the keyboard and came up with knitting. Success, and resoundingly so! I find that doing at least an hours knitting every day keeps my hands going for work. I have fallen in love with Rowan wools for several reasons: The wools are lovely, and they even do ranges of natural and organic dyes, not just natural fibres that are so important for temperature control when your nerves are sending back random signals. The patterns are lovely - yes they do some baby and "classic" knit patterns, but their studio range in particular is fantastic for the latest styles, and as I am knitting, I am not limited to the 2 colours that the high street deems in this year. Because I am knitting them myself, although I go for the top end wool, the jumpers are still a fraction of what you would pay for a finished garment in the shops. Finally and most importantly, the knitting takes my mind off of my pain just enough to allow me to sit in comfort and watch the telly of an evening. Who knows - it may just work for you too...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the post. My mom is going to begin chemotherapy and one of the side effects is peripheral neuropathy. She loves to knit and is devastated by the fact that she might lose the ability to do so from the treatment/possible neuropathy. Any advice you would be willing to share? Thanks so much! This blog post is inspiring.

Kristin said...

Cool, glad to hear it. But my best advice is to have multiple projects on the go. Big needles and small needles, simple and complex. That way when my hands get stiff I change things up and another project gets worked on. Very complex ones can be very absorbing and distracting, simple ones can be enough to just take your mind off of pain enough to watch the tv. Maybe also invest in a cheap knitting loom - or maybe a sock loom, as people who stop knitting due to pain often find this a new way of still knitting. Fingers crossed these help, best of luck x

More info: