Wednesday 31 March 2010

iPad accessibility

I admit it, I am waiting for my ipad - my 40th birthday was last december, but I put off having any presents until the new range of tablets came out. I looked very carefully at the ranges on offer, and the Notion Ink device came a very close second for me. However the fact that I wanted something very light, that turned on and off immediately, and could play my audio books in the background whilst doing some serious work without the need for a stylus swung it for me. Talking of styli - I just got a new Palm PDA from work, and the stylus is even smaller than last time - so thats not gonna get used, and the screen is less responsive than ever. I am not surprised they aren't doing very well.

But back to the iPad - so have got agreement form even the most diehard anti apple guys in the office that the iPad was the one for me, I have been waiting and watching with increasing lust, and envy of the americans who are getting their hands on them this Saturday. My husband has already warned me he draws the line at waiting in a queue for one, so I will be web ordering. I am disappointed that they don't seem to be offering engraving at the moment, as that would have been the icing on the cake for me. However some of this disappointment has been mollified by this page.

At last! Someone realises that accessibility needs to be built in, not just added as an afterthought with software. I shall definitely be using the zoom, high contrast and triple click from time to time, but love the voice over ideas. I cant wait to see what others make of it as well. Top marks, Apple - now when can I have my birthday present!?!

No comments:

More info: