Tuesday 6 April 2010

Palm treo rant

OK, so work just gave me a new Palm Treo for my email on the move. I had an old Treo, which had been
bearable, if somewhat ageing, so was happy to get a like for like. But it isn't.

What ever possessed Palm to shrink the stylus to be shorter than my thumb whilst at the same time making the buttons and screen harder to use? I have very small hands, so never expected this to be an issue. This is surely madness to play with a design so much that it gets worse not better? Yes its thinner, but the thickness wasn't an issue really. To try and compare this to my personal iphone is like trying to compare a goat to a horse when all you want is something to ride to the market. And the goat analogy can continue as the phone is stubborn (wont recognise button presses), awkward (took me an age to get the stylus out before realising its length) but looks good.

When will gadget designers realise that as gadgets become more common, people who aren't young, able bodied, healthy American males or Japanese school girls, use them too? And the 99% of the population who fit into this demographic have long memories when they start to dislike a manufacturer. I had a Palm in the glory days - before windows. It was so far ahead of the game; slick, fast, and easy to use. Each successive version has been worse than the previous one, and I now pray to whatever deity you choose that I will never have another one again. In fact I am talking to my managers about its lack of accessibility to try and get rid of this one.

No comments:

More info: