Wednesday 17 March 2010

Wrist Splints from thermoskin

As is the Way with Fibromyalgia, my wrist decided to play up this week. For no reason at all, I couldn't bend it, and couldn't lift anything heavier than a pencil! The pharmacy staff at Boots both in the town and village have been excellent, but I am still struggling sadly. First of all I tried a simple crepe bandage - tried and tested, but no good for doing anything much with my hand. Much as I enjoy being a lady of leisure, I still have to earn a living.

So something better was needed. I first of all tried a Thermoskin Carpel wrist brace. The splint was beautifully fitted to my wrist and palm and very comfortable, but the bottom strap didn't do up very well over my swollen forearms, so the spiky side of the velcro rubbed a bit. However this was nothing to the pain the next day - I seem to have developed a reaction to it, despite it being breathable. My neuropathy has kicked off so badly on my wrist that I now am in agony after just 20 minutes of wear.

My hand was not affected, so I went back to boots and this time just got a simple wrist strap which fits above the now sensitive bit. Its very comfy, but not as supportive, and pulls the joint at the base of my thumb a bit. However this is much better than the adhesive bandage I decided to try in the middle of all this. Never again will I adhere anything to already sensitised skin! Yes, I know it sounds basic, but you don't always think straight during pain do you?

I am now hoping it goes away very soon, or I have no idea what to buy next :(

No comments:

More info: